Sunday, April 6, 2008

Even though it's different now, you're still here some how



I've always said "I don't have enough of an interesting or exciting life to take up blogging." I'm pretty typical, and if I did in fact take up blogging, people would realize this, and my entire coolness factor (the little that I have) would be obliterated. 


But the past few weeks changed my outlook on blogging... among may other things. 



For those of you who don't know, on March 25, 2008, I lost a huge part of my life. My best friend, no rather my sister, passed away at the age of 21. First, let's clear something up -- Steph's death was not caused by  any reckless or out of control activities. She didn't do any drugs, barely drank, couldn't even swallow a tylenol. So get all of those thoughts out of your head. Thank you.



Continuing on.... Steph was really into writing and kept journals for most of her life. I knew a lot about her, but her journals are where she really released her feelings, wishes, hopes and desires. She would tell me to write when I was feeling down, because that was her source of venting and releasing. I brushed it off, thinking it was silly and pointless. Now, as we continue on with our lives without Steph physically being here, those journals are more valuable to myself, her friends and family than anything in the world. I've yet to really get a chance to read her entries, except for one. This particular entry is entitled "Things To Do Before I Die" and she wrote it sometime in 2003 I believe. As I sat in her room in between wakes and read each item, all I could think was that I hope she knew how much of the list she had accomplished. Granted she was roughly 16 at the time, and a few of the things are a bit insignificant now, but the biggies.... those she undoubtedly accomplished in her brief period on this earth. I had to snap a picture of the list, so here it is for your viewing pleasure..

If you were lucky enough to have known Steph, you know that she was everything she wishes to be on her list, and so much more. 



This leads me back to my original point.... without the numerous journals Steph kept, we would not have such precious memories, stories, thoughts or feelings. So here I am, starting up a wonderful blog so that someone out there can understand just who I am, and one day, someone can look back and say... "Thank goodness for Kat's blog, without it, we would've missed so much of just what she was all about."




With that said, I will try not to disappoint with my random entries. I will try my hardest to be entertaining. But remember, I ain't no Kevin Jonas. 



I end this premier blog with one thing... remember to treasure those you really truly care about, because you never know when they will be taken away from you. Say "I love you" and mean it, give out meaningful hugs, and don't hold grudges. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed, so get over the petty crap. 

Seacrest out. 


7 comments:

janooose said...

love your first blog. welcome to the club.

Shine On Media said...

kat, you are amazing and exciting and steph and you were amazingly blessed to have each other. God wouldn't have had it any other way. and steph def accomplished those things on her list...90% of them lol. but she def made everyone proud.

and please know you have made a difference in a lot of people's lives...and i don't ever tell you this, but i love you

lmm3215 said...

It's amazing how one person can touch so many lives, without them even knowing so. I never met Steph, but I identified a lot with her (at least, with what I knew about her) and her passing came as a punch in the stomach to me. I was going through my myspace bulletins on my phone in my car before I went to class that day and as I kept seeing "RIP Steph", I wondered what Steph everyone could be talking about. While waiting for the page to load, it finally struck me that they could very well be talking about Steph the Street Team leader, and upon realizing this I dreaded scrolling down the page to see if my instinct was right. As I read on, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach by an invisible fist and the wind had been knocked out of me. The news was so unexpected. My heart absolutely broke. All this and I never even had the chance to meet her face to face. I can't imagine the horrible pain you must be going through right now, having known her and shared so much of your life with her for so many years. I am truly so, so sorry.

I followed the link here from your myspace and when I saw the picture of her list of things she wanted to do before she died, I felt something reminiscent of what I had felt when I read the bulletin messages two weeks ago. And although thankfully she was able to accomplish most of the goals on her list, my eyes can't help but fill with tears at the thought of how much more she could have accomplished had she lived; she had so much more going for her...

I'm glad she was able to leave something so personal and close to her heart behind to be remembered and better understood by. I have always tried to keep something of a journal, but I'm afraid my procrastination always seems to overpower my dedication. It is really a shame though, because I realize that these feelings and memories will only become duller and more distant as time passes by. Perhaps I'll give it another shot after I'm done with all the studying and papers I have to do for the end of the semester. I'll do it in honor of Stephanie :)

I really hope you have found a healthy way to cope with Steph's sad, untimely passing (and luckily, by the looks of things, you have). I wish to someday have half your strength...

Much love & a big virtual hug,
Laura :)
(myspace.com/juicy_pout)

Veronica said...

i'm so blessed to have steph, you & the majority of the jonas community in my life. i know you're probably thinking, what have i done for this girl? but truly i am blessed. thanks for all you do, and keep that beautiful head of yours up. although i never had the great opportunity of meeting steph face-to-face, i know the person she was and am proud to have called her my friend. i know what you are going through losing someone you never thought you'd have to live without. if you ever need anything i will always be here!

hugs, hugs, & more hugs!
♥veronica
(myspace.com/perrychick08)
(myspace.com/livingthedreamjonasstyle)

Nic Nac Patty Wac said...

i love you kat<3

Tiffani Starr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffani Starr said...

Love your first blog girl!!
I know its really hard right now for you like i've said i've lost many friends and last year i lost two of my best friends but life will go on it may not seem like that first but i promise you it does i know you're a strong chick and you can make it through this hard time... It's really rough a head but it'll get better and if you ever need to talk you know i'm here for you<333333333

Stephanie was more than a blessing to my life she was very sweet and she will be missed by all of us!!!

Just stay strong girl<33333